Sunday, February 26, 2006

Scopes part I

Here is a marblescope I made a few weeks ago and finally have gotten around to taking a few shots of it. This was the prototype, model one, make one. I was attempting to get to 5 point symmetry in the scope. I was not successful despite the best mathematical mind and work in town helping me out. Its not the math it was the assembly where I went wrong.

My pal, Hollister "Hop" David whos website is worthy of a visit, an extremely talented artist and mathematician managed to put together the math for me in a matter of minutes. I went home and assembled the scope. This marblescope uses some specialty parts to hold the marble end in place. I later figured out the specialty part is actually a split key ring that I could buy anywhere for about $.50. Oh well, live and learn. So, inside the stoffobeads studio, I assembled this bugger up and made the marblescope. I really like the idea that the viewing object is removable, changeable and I happen to have a surplus of marbles, not as many as I have of surplus beads, but more than enough.

Its pretty cool but since the marble covers the end of the scope, there are two issues I needed to work out. One, the visual image inside is too dark. Solution number one, use clear marbles or marbles with more transparent colors in them. Solution number two, I need a way to move the marble or viewing item away.

Issue number two, the marble is pressed onto the glass at the end of the scope, slowly scratching it up as you turn it to move the design. Again leading me to a design where the viewing item is moved further away. I wish I could take credit for the idea but I cant. Reviewing every book, well the one, I could find on making scopes at the local library. I was led to the design of what Im calling the Beadscope. More on that in a later post.

Issue number three, not really a tribute to the worlds best soldering or my skill at it. Solution, practice and more practice, after all this was make one, model one. Part two will show some of these things hopefully solved or at least improved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home