Wednesday, January 04, 2006

EMS-electric mandrel spinner


I made this bead using the only really cool tool invented for lampworking in the last I dont know 20 years.... Its the EMS or electric mandrel spinner. I also have the dual marver, two rolling brass barrels that effortlessly shape the glass.

These amazing gizmos are made by Scott at Bearfoot Art. Hes linked on the right hand side here. At his site you can see photos fo the tools, videos of them in use and even order them.

This tool has been featured in the bead release by ISGB, and I think a few other lampworking publications like the flow. For me its doubled my production. I can make a bead "blank" in far less time, its like making pots by coiling the clay or throwing a pot on the wheel. (If that helps anyone). In addition, there is less stress, strain and fatigue to my hands, wrists and I aviod any repetitive motion injuries or at least limit them to typing.

Id be more than glad to answer any questions anyone may have about this tool or combo of tools. I cant recommend them enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home